Television News Segments:
- WWAY, April 15, 2011 : High levels of mercury concern community
As Wilmington risks not meeting new state sulfur dioxide standards, opponents question the impact of a cement plant planned for Castle Haynes. Now, results from a recent test show that some folks in the Cape Fear have high levels of mercury in their bodies.
- WECT News Channel 6, March 12, 2011: Anti-Titan group rallying behind two residents being sued by Titan
- News Channel 14: Protesters rally against proposed cement plant
- SC News Channel 36: Neighbors fed up with noisy cement plant
- CBS 10 Byline Wilmington, Dec 20, 2010:
Titan Cement Next Chapter ( part 1 / part 2 )
- News Channel 14, Dec 22, 2010: Titan Cement plant battle continues through years end
- News Channel 14, Nov 24, 2009: Perdue requests examination of cement plant permit
- WRAL-TV Raleigh, June 3, 2009: Cement plant foes question lobbyist's ties
It appears high-powered lobbyists have feelings too--mostly anger, resentment, and indignation that anyone would suspect them of peddling influence in the Legislature for big paychecks from corporate Titans (imagine that!). This week reporter Cullen Browder of WRAL-TV in Raleigh put the screws to Titan lobbyist John Merritt and Deputy Secretary of Commerce Dale Carroll about their association with Titan Cement, former Governor Mike Easley (who now works for the same lobby shop as Merritt), and the $300,000 grant Commerce gave to Titan while Easley was in office. Easley is currently under investigation for taking free plane trips and other goodies from his corporate buddies. Cape Fear Riverkeeper Doug Springer laid out the case for our team elegantly, while Merritt fumed and threatened, and Carroll squirmed. It was definitey TV worth watching! We give it four out of five smokestacks. Check it out right here.
The Latest STAN YouTube Videos: